Sunday, December 13, 2009

One step forward, and a whole bunch back...

Today I got down to the nitty gritty with the build. I decided to be paranoid and completely disassemble what I'd done so far. The image below is the result.

As I took out components I tested them to ensure they were still working correctly. I also checked the output transformer and choke. The amp fared alright after being employed as a toaster for a few brief seconds the day I fired it up. A few of the notable things that happened during the disassemble were:
  1. I noticed that the standoffs I made were shit.
  2. I discovered that there was a grounding pin on one of the power tube sockets that was cracked off.
  3. I managed to break off a pin on the bias pot.
So, I decided to go ahead and order a few things from Watt's Tube Audio in Florida that I needed to once again complete the build, and I also ordered some original Marshall knobs (set screw style) so I can turn this bitch up to 11 when I get this little order of parts and get it assembled.

I have 11 days off during the upcoming holidays, and hopefully, if my few replacement parts are here, I can spend that time getting this amp screaming through a 4x12. Have faith ye who follow, for it will come to pass that this amplifier will one day be complete and will permanently damage the hearing of it's maker!